Wednesday, April 2, 2008

…smashing performance…

That was my first time stepped into the KL Performing Arts Centre in Sentul, Kuala Lumpur. A new step, a new vision, a new experience and everything that I cannot put into words. Do I sound excited…!? We watched three plays; Uncut, Untitled and Paper House which all the plays were directed by Malaysian and acted out by Malaysian whom some of them have already had names in our local industry like Aishah Sinclair and Fish Fadzil. Before this, I had twice went for theatre in Istana Budaya---yup..it’s Malay theatre---and the surroundings or the conditions between English and Malay theatre are obviously different. For the English theatre, they use only white boxes as the props and all other hand props are mimed. Meanwhile for Malay theatre, all the props are provided even the smallest one. I was amazed by the actors’ performances; their voice projections, dictions, intonations, facial expressions and others. There were only two or three actors for each play and two of them needed to pretend as if there was another character among them which was a young girl who did not appear in front of audiences’ eyes. But we can feel that they were talking very naturally and it did not look awkward at all. I jotted down some of their skills in order to help me for my acting in Shakespeare’s Taming of The Shrew. Other than that, the price of ticket was very affordable compared to Malay theatre. I think maybe our government can do something to make peole realise about the English theatre in Malaysia and support them to establish English theatre to all levels of society from any social economic class. Well, I hope to drive myself all the way from Kajang to Sentul, to find an authentic piece of work and experience.

No comments: